Adding Custom Fields to your Sign Up
Table of Contents
Custom fields allow you to collect additional information from your registrants. Some examples include:
- Identification numbers (text field)
- T-shirt size (dropdown menu)
- Preferred meal option at a tournament dinner (radio buttons)
There is no limit to the number of custom fields you can create.
Step 1: Create your Custom Fields
Under the Sign-up Configuration heading in the Administrator bar, select Setup Custom Data Fields.
[bs_notification type="info" dismissible="false"]Custom fields are associated with your specific event, so if you had previous created custom fields for another tournament, they will not show up here.[/bs_notification]
Click on Create Custom Field to begin setting up your custom field.
Complete the custom field options as follows:
Enter in the name of the custom field. This will be seen by the registrant, so it should indicate clearly what information it is that you are trying to collect.
- Field Type
Choose from one of the following options:
- Single line text field
- This is used to collect simple information that would fit on a single line. For example, an identification number.
- Multi line text field
- Use this when you're expecting a longer response that might span multiple lines or paragraphs. For example, "Provide a bio of your sports history".
- Dropdown list
- A dropdown list lets a user pick one value from a list of options. For example, t-shirt size.
- Checkbox list
- A checkbox list lets a user pick one or more values for a list of options.
- Radio list
- A radio list is similar to a dropdown list, except that all of the available options are visible at all times. The user may still only choose one value, but all of the available options will be visible on their screen. Radio lists are a good choice when you only have a few options to choose from. For longer lists, you should use a dropdown.
- Date field
- This will display a date dialog where the user can choose a date from a friendly interface.
- Multi-value list
- This should only be used when Selling Additional Items. Please refer to that article for more details.
- Single line text field
The values field will display if you select a field type of Dropdown, Checkbox, Radio or Multi-value list. It lets you specify the options you want users' to pick from. You should enter one value per line. Please refer to the screenshot above for an example of the values we used in our T-shirt size custom field.
Choose if your field requires the user to enter or select a value. If they don't enter a value, the registration form will generate an error and ask them to complete the field before submitting their entry.
When you are finished setting up your custom field, click on the Create button.
[bs_notification type="info" dismissible="false"]Tip: You can change the order that your custom fields display by dragging and dropping them on the Custom Fields page.
Step 2: Add the custom field to your sign up page
Now that you've created your custom field, you need to add it to your sign up page. To do this, return to your tournament's main page and click on Sign-up Page Layout in the Administrator bar.
Scroll down to the Additional Information section and select the custom field(s) that you have created.
Then press the Save button at the bottom of the page.
Your custom fields will immediately show on your sign up page, allowing you to collect the additional information you are requesting from your tournament participants.
Edit the existing value of a custom field for a participant
If you have already received an entry from someone, or are manually adding a person to your event, you can update the custom information via the Player Management screen. From your tournament administrator bar, select Player Management.
Next to the name of the player who's information you want to update, click on the Action dropdown and select Edit Player Fields.
In the resulting popup, you will see a list of your custom fields. Enter in the values you want to associate to that user and press Update.
The screen will refresh and your values are now saved.